SeagGL Cocktail Hour 2021
Once again, I'm going to be making a series of GNU/Linux themed cocktails for the the SeaGL cocktail hour 2021 edition. The good news is that the source for the cocktails will be available! The bad news is that you'll have to compile these drinks yourself.
- When: 5:45pm Seattle (PDT or UTC-7)
- Where: You can attend the conference in the social room for the conference. Keep in mind that the link does require registering for the conference. Registration is free but does take a few minutes!
If you planning on making drinks with me, you'll probably need to shop for ingredients. My advice it to chose what you want have and shop just for that drink. Or just bring a beer or glass of wine a cup of tea to watch and hang out! You will be able to make almost everything if you have bottles of (a) Tequila, (b) Cynar, and (c) sherry, as well (d) limes and (e) grapefruit that you can juice, and (f) beer!
1. Something easy based on beer
1a/1b. ...that is bitter and complex
- 6oz Beer (Option 1: Something dark. I'm going to try to use a a Black Butte Porter from Deschutes; Option 2: a lighter sour beer, probably a gose)
- 1.5 Cynar
1c. ...that is refreshing
I'll be working toward a michelada variant. You're welcome to stop halfway.
- 12oz Beer (a lager, traditionally a Mexican one)
- 1.5oz Lime
- 3-4 dashes of hot sauce
- Salt rim
Optional ingredients, i'm going to add to mine:
- Blackberry shrub
- Fresh blackberry
2. Something refreshing (with or without EthO)
- 0.75oz Lime juice (fresh if possible)
- 1.5oz Grapefruit juice (fresh if possible)
- 0.5oz simple syrup
- 2oz Soda water
- [Optional] 2oz Tequila
- [Optional] Salt
Notes: shake all but soda; pour chilled mixture over water in the bottom of glass with salted rim
3. Something stirred and dark (think negroni)
- 1oz Tequila
- 1oz Sherry (ideally a Fino)
- 1oz Cynar
Notes: stir, strain, serve in a DOF over a single big ice cub
4. Something complicated
Inspired by a recipe from Jeffrey Morgenthaler in PDX. For this one, you'll need an iSi NO² charger or similar like you would use for whipcream.
- 2 egg whites
- 2oz Grand Marnier
- 4oz orange juice (finely strained)
- 4 dashes peach bitters
- Salt (black salt is ideal)
Notes: shake and then charge with at least one charger in the iSi
- 2oz Tequila
- 1oz triple sec
- 1oz lime juice
- 1oz lemon juice
- 1oz simple syrup
Notes: shake, strain, up into a glass with enough room for the foam!
5. Something to end with
We'll be ending a 50/50 which is fancy term for a composed shot. Cynar, as it turns out, is a pretty common ingredient. Ours will be based on Michael Buonocore's "Mixed Bizness"
- 0.5oz Tequila
- 0.5oz Mezcal if you have it! (otherwise more Tequila)
- 1oz Cynar
Note: handpour it into the shotglass; that's it!