I made saffron rice with Fesenjan. I got saffron from an Indian grocery shop. They're small and expensive, so you have to ask for it at the cashier (info on the Central Sq Indian grocery shop).
- 2 pinches saffron threads
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, minced (about 1/2 cup)
- 2 cups white basmati rice or jasmin rice. Basmati might be a better fit.
- 3 3/4 cups chicken stock, or substitute water/a pinch of salt. The amount of water could be a little less.
- 1 tsp salt
- Grind 1 pinch of saffron. Add 1 more pinch of unground saffron and add 1/4 cup hot water.
- Saute onion until caramelized.
- Add rice and saute for 1 more minute.
- Add saffron juice. Mix and add stock.
- Bring the stock to boil. Let it simmer for 20 minutes or until the rice is soft enough.
- Fluff the rice.