The following invitation is the wiki page we used to provide information to people before our wedding in Cambridge on Monday, May 29, 2006.
Many apologies to those that are hearing this for the first time, but Mika and I decided to get married a couple months ago. You can read a public announcement about our decision here.
In any case, we've decided to do the official marriage in a way that is secular, fun, and completely for us. We're going to do it on this coming Monday 5/29 which, although you may have forgotten, is Memorial Day and a holiday. We'll have another ceremony/reception/TBD out in Seattle for our extended families that will be more traditional.
Our previous plans to do the ceremony in the MIT Chapel had to be changed when we learned a couple days ago that they would only host religious ceremonies. As a last minute fill-in, Alana Lafferty has offered her backyard in Somerville near the Davis Square T-stop. Given the 31C/87F weather we're expecting on Monday, that sounded perfect.
- 1:30 -- Folks should start arriving...
- 2:00 -- Short (~2 block) wedding parade.
- 2:30 -- Wedding Ceremony!
- AFTER -- PARTY w/ BBQ, kegs, sunshine!
In terms of the party, we're going to have a keg of framboise (yes, it comes in kegs) and a keg of heffewiezen. We're going to have a barbecue. Vegetarian choices will definitely be provided -- meat barbecue may also be provided as well (we're still figuring that out).
We're going to have both the ceremony and the party at Alana Lafferty's house. The address is 25 Kingston Street, Somerville. Directions are here.
We'll be in the backyard.
What You Wear/Bring
- Dress: It looks like it's going to be hot so dress comfortably and casually. There's no need to wear fancy clothes. Of course, paraders should come in parade attire.
- Instruments: If you play a portable musical instrument (e.g., horn, accordion, harmonica, whistle, panpipes), please email Samuel Klein who is organizing the parade and give him the details. His email is <email@example.com>.
- Gifts: A number of people have asked about gifts. There is
- really no need to give us anything. Really. Mika and I have more than
- we need. If people feel the need to give, we'd be happy if donations
- were made in our names to GroupsWeLike.
If you can manage to RSVP so we can get a rough headcount for food, that would be great. If you have questions, we're happy to field those as well. You can email me at <firstname.lastname@example.org> or Mika at <email@example.com>.
If you are coming from out of town and need a place to stay, we still have a bit of room at the Acetarium. Email us for details and to confirm space.
Feel free to forward this on to people you think should know. :)
- Benjamin Mako Hill (+1 206-409-7191)
- Mika Matsuzaki (+1 206-890-5155)