Braised pork belly
This recipe is a fairly direct application of the 'hong shao' / red-braised chinese cooking technique to vegetarian pork belly, which does in fact exist.
- 1-2 packs veggie pork belly
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 4 scallions
- 2" ginger, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 star anise pod
- 1/4 cup light soy sauce
- 1/4 cup shaoxing wine
- Find vegetarian pork belly. The stuff we found had a lot of pepper caked on it. If that's what you find, scrape off as much of the pepper as you can while defrosting.
- Dissolve sugar in water over medium-high until a syrup is formed
- Reduce heat, add pork, and coat with the syrup.
- Add aromatics. cook - tossing / stirring for 1 minute
- Add soy sauce and wine and cook for another couple minutes until slightly reduced.
- Pour in enough water to just cover pork and simmer until the sauce has permeated the pork. I didn't notice much additional change after 30min.
- Remove pork. Boil / reduce sauce until thickened (maybe 10-15 min).
- Serve pork and sauce