Adapted from bonappetit
- Olive Oil
- Liquid Smoke
- Red pepper flakes
- Large can whole tomatoes
- Semolina / pasta dough
- Shave slivers off the veggie ham to resemble guanciale.
- Sauté veggie ham until crisp. Add MSG and some white wine to help increase umami. Add red pepper and black pepper. Add liquid smoke just before taking off heat.
- Set aside
- Cook Onion and garlic until soft. 8 minutes
- Squeeze tomatoes into pan. Add back in veggie ham. reduce to low, and simmer until sauce thickens. 20 minutes.
- Reserve some pasta water after making Bucatini, to help the sauce stick to the pasta.