This is a Persian meat dish with pomegranates and nuts. Typically, people use walnuts but I used almonds and they were tasty. Goes well with Saffron Rice. It's a very tasty dish.
- 2.5 cups walnuts meal (finely ground walnuts)
- 2 small onions, sliced thin 3
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2/3 cup pomegranate syrup of 4 cups pomegranate juice
- 2 1/2 cups stock or water
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- 1 1/4 teaspoons saffron (optional)
- 1-2 limes,
- ~1lb seitan
- olive oil
- Heat butter or oil over medium heat in a large Dutch oven.
- Add onions and sauté until wilted and translucent.
- Add garlic, cinnamon and nutmeg and sauté, stirring, for another 1-2 minutes. #Stir in walnuts, pomegranate syrup, stock, sugar, salt, pepper and saffron. I didn't add saffron here but had saffron rice instead.
- Adjust sugar and salt to taste.
- Bring to a low boil and simmer 1/2 hour.
- Add chicken and simmer on low heat another 30-60 minutes.
- Halfway through the cooking time, add the lime juice to taste.
- The sauce will thicken and darken during this cooking time, and the oil will begin to render out of the walnuts.
- Add water or stock if necessary to prevent the sauce from thickening too much and scorching.
- Serve with plain white rice or saffron rice.