- Hayashi Rice is a popular Japanese comfort dish. It is similar to Japanese curry but sweeter and has tomatoes. Japanese supermarkets sell roux for Hayashi rice but it usually contains beef/non-vegetarian stock. The roux is not hard to make but takes a little time (15 minutes or so).
- 40g flour
- 15g butter or margarine
- 100g tomatoes or canned diced tomatoes
- 500cc broth (or 400cc broth + 100cc red wine)
- bay leaf
- 1 onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1-2 cups seitan
- 1 cup mushrooms
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- rice, egg noodles, bread etc
1. Saute flour in butter or margarine until it browns.
2. Add broth and bay leaf to the browned flour.
3. In a separate pan, saute onions, garlic, seitan and mushrooms.
4. Add 2. to 3. If it's not thick enough, add a little bit more flour.
5. Make caramel from sugar. Add to 4.
6. Serve on rice, egg noodles, or bread.