Mac and cheese
Great recipe although it's heart-aching to make it. Adelaida liked it. I used half and half instead of butter and used less cheese but it was still good. It should be fairly easy to make it vegan with daiya cheese.
- 1 pound large elbow macaroni
- 8 tablespoons butter
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound white Cheddar, shredded in the food processor
- 4 ounces Romano, shredded
- 4 ounces Asiago, shredded
- 2 cups Panko bread crumbs
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- In large pot filled with water add 3 pinches of salt and the macaroni and place over high heat. Bring to a boil and let cook until al dente, about 8 minutes. Drain. Set aside
- In a large saucepan, melt butter. Sprinkle flour over butter and cook 2 to 3 minutes on medium heat, whisking until a roux or paste forms. Add cold milk and whisk vigorously until dissolved. Cook sauce on medium-low heat until thick and bubbly. Add heavy cream, all cheeses, 1 tablespoon of salt, and 1 tablespoon pepper. Cook until cheeses are fully melted, stirring occasionally.
- In a separate pan add olive oil and then mix in panko bread crumbs until the olive oil is thoroughly absorbed. They recommended butter but I used olive oil here.
- Add cooked macaroni to cheese mixture and mix thoroughly. Place macaroni mixture in a 13 by 9 baking dish and top with bread crumbs. Place in the oven and bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- For extra crispy topping, place under broiler after baking until bread crumbs turn golden brown. I didn't but it was ok.