Sausage and saurkraut pasta
Super simple Tirolian or southern German recipe. Good with a thick pasta like an orecchieti or similar. This is one of Mako's goto quick-and-easy meals.
- 2 Field Roast vegetarian sausages (I like Apple Sage but Italian works well too)
- 1 cup fresh saurkraut. I use homemade saurkraut and I really love using kraut that's been fermented with 1-2 beets for each head of cabbage. It's a beautiful color and adds a nice sweetness.
- 1 onion sliced in narrow (5-7mm across?) slices
- 1/2 cup of sour cream?
- Sautée the onions until they start to carmalize
- Break up the sausage by hand into small pieces. The smaller the better. Keep the heat going until they are starting to get a little crunchy.
- Turn down the heat and add the kraut and sour cream. The kraut will get soggy and lose some of it's flavor with cooking so you want to minimize it.
- Add the sauce to your pasta with a ladle or two of pasta water to keep it saucy and to make sure it sticks to the pasta.