I bought one plastic container of French couscous by bulk at Harvest just to try out if we can cook it well. The dish we made was super easy and super tasty, so we'll probably get a lot more in the future. I wasn't sure if this was traditional couscous or not since it wasn't packaged couscous. Luckily, it was not traditional, so I only had to boil/simmer couscous for ~5 minutes.
- 1 onion
- 7-8 mushrooms
- 2 small eggplants
- 1 gray squash
- 1 tomato
- 1 clove garlic
- some fresh parsley
- some dried thyme, dried basil, pepper, and salt
- 2 cups couscous
- 2 and 3/4 vegetable broth
- some margarine
- some olive oil
- You can use whatever vegetables you want. We used those because they were getting sad in our fridge.
1. Dice onions, eggplants, squash, and tomatoes. Mince garlic and parsley.
2. Sauté all the vegetables (tomatoes at the end).
3. Melt margarine in another pot. Add garlic and couscous and mix.
4. Add vegetable broth to couscous. When it boils, turn it off and let the steam cook couscous.
5. Add thyme, basil, pepper, and salt to the vegetables.
6. Put the vegetables on top of couscous and sprinkle parsley on top.
- Add olive oil, Parmesan cheese and sour cream if you want.