Travel Plans/December 2021 Japan Trip
- [2021-11-29 Mon] Arrival
- [2021-11-30 Tue] through [2021-12-09 Thu] 10 days)
- [2021-12-10 Tue] Freedom (in Tokyo)
- [2021-12-11 Sat] Tokyo Fly in the evening to Ishigaki
- [2021-12-11 Sat] through [2021-12-16 Thu] Stay in Ishigaki
- [2021-12-12 Sun] through [2021-12-15 Wed] 3 days diving, maybe a dive on [2021-12-15 Wed] depending on flight
- [2021-12-16 Thu] Flying to Hokaido
- [2021-12-16 Thu] through [2021-12-22 Wed] Stay in Hokkaido
- a. Skiing days [2021-12-17 Fri] through [2021-12-21 Tue]
- [2021-12-22 Wed] Fly back to Tokyo
- [2021-12-22 Wed] through [2022-01-06 Thu] Tokyo
- [2022-01-04 Tue] Mako Leaves
- [2022-01-06 Tue] Mika Leaves
Things we still need to do
things to do in the order in where they will fall in our trip:
Quarantine stay in Tokyo/Chiba:
- [DONE] reserve stay in Metroresidences through 2021-12-11
- [DONE] reserve transit to Metroresidences via car service
- [DONE] cancel the metroresidences stay and car service [mako]
- [DONE] register a new car service for trip from NRT to Kujikuri [mika]
- They say that they'll call/text me to see how the testing is going at the airport. They plan to come a couple hours after we arrive but if the testing takes a long time, they may try to adjust the pickup time and we may need to wait for a bit.
Trip to Ishigaki:
- [TODO] send stuff to Ishigaki on Dec 5 for arrival on Dec 11.
- [DONE] book flight to Ishigaki on 2021-12-11
- [DONE] book place to stay in Ishigaki [mika]
- [TODO] book/reserve three days of diving with a local dive shop ([2021-12-12 Sun] through [2021-12-15 Wed]) [mika]
Trip to Rutsutsu:
- [TODO] send stuff to Rusutsu on Dec 10 for arrival on Dec 16.
- [DONE] book flight from ISG→CTS [mako]
- [TODO] book bus from CTS→Rutsutsu
- [DONE] reserve place in Rutsutsu [mako]
- [TODO] book bus from Rutsutsu→Sapporo
- [DONE] flight from hokkaido back to tokyo on the 22nd
End of trip in Tokyo:
- [TODO] find/reserve place to stay in Tokyo from 2021-12-22 through 2021-01-06
- [TODO] decide if there will be any other traveling?
- [TODO] decide if we're doing do we want to get a rail pass?
- [TODO] mika decides on a trip to nagasaki? when? [mika]
- [TODO] book a place at swrl in Shibuya (they book/reserve only 1 month out) [mako]
General things to keep in mind
- Try to plan no meetings on THURSDAY or FRIDAY 16-17 (or anything after that through the 22nd). Those will be in Rutsutsu.
- Important meetings:
- Mika: Dec 9 11PM-12:30AM Japan time (Dec 9 9--10:30AM EST) - Kujukuri
- Mika: Dec 15 10-10:30PM Japan time (Dec 15 5-5:30AM PST; 8-8:30AM EST) - Ishigaki
Details about quarantine
- Quarantine Japan with a useful calendar for counting days of quarantine
- US Embassy in Japan COVID information
- MofA Pages
- MHLW Page about Entering Japan
- MHLW border control page
- Entering Japan Questionnaire from MHLW
Leaving to japan checklist
There's an excellent checklist with links from ANA. It contains the following things:
- [DONE] valid certificates of negative test done 3 days before, ideally in the japanese format
- [TODO] signed copies of Written Pledge
- [TODO] completed copy of Entering Japan Questionnaire from MHLW
- [TODO] install the mobile apps: MySOS (location monitoring app), Google Maps, and COCOA (English details)
- [DONE] vaccine certificate
- [DONE] valid visa for foreigners
[2021-11-29 Mon through [2021-12-11 Sat] Quarantine in Kujikuri
We'll be staying in Kujūkuri Beach for our quarantine period.
- 1016-5 Fujishita, Kujukuri, Sambu District, Chiba 283-0112, Japan
- 35°30'50.4"N 140°26'05.0"E
- Check-in Mon, Nov 29, 2021 4
- 00 PM
- Sat, Dec 11, 2021 11:00 AM
- Nearest supermarket
- Bike rental
- RideTown bike rental in Kujikuri (bad English version of website)
- arrival day
- order food
- get SIMs?
- Send the dive gear to the dive shop.
- Mika teaches at 11PM-12:30AM
- Send skis to Rusutsu Lodges.
- The MF board meeting @7:00-9:00AM JST, Saturday December 11, 2021 (Mika)
COVID Test on 10th day
This is Official list of places (bilingual search) from MHLW
The closest physical place is Chosei Clinic, 2777 Honno, Mobara, Chiba 299-4192, Japan. There are details on their test here (it seems to cost ¥20,000) but will be done as you wait. To do this, we would likely need to get bikes and/or run 20k one way and probably walk most of the way back.
The alternative is to do one a the mail-in test which should be quick but might mean that we are stuck for an extra day (and very likely for at least part of the day until we get our result). These can extremely cheap (¥3,000, plus shipping):
[2021-12-11 Sat] through [2021-12-16 Thu] Stay in Ishigaki
- Kujukuri (九十九里） to Haneda（羽田）:
- We need to take a local bus to Oami, or other stations that have express shuttles to Haneda.
- Kujukuri (~35 minutes on a local bus) -> Oami -> Haneda (~2 hours) = 2.5 hours or so.
- Sunrise Kujukuri bus stop: 9:35AM on Saturday.
- Oami to Haneda leaving at 11AM arriving at 1PM. Maybe too tight?
- Map of local buses near Kujukuri.
- Option 1: Take a taxi from Kujukuri to Togane station (arrive by 9:05AM); take a train from Togane (9:12) to Soga (9:39AM); take the airport shuttle from Soga (9:50) to Haneda (11:55).
- Heat Heart Club
- https://www.primescuba-isg.com/ - Big International outfit with a bunch of foreigners and a 60ft boat that fits 30 people. great blog of stuff (seems like they see awesome stuff every day!)
- Mika's meeting with the chair at 7-7:30PM JST (8-8:30AM EST).
- Charlie's general exams @ 2:00:00 am JST, Thursday, December 16, 2021
- Special faculty meeting @ 8:30:00 am JST, Thursday, December 16, 2021
[2021-12-16 Thu] through [2021-12-22 Wed] Stay in Rutsutsu
Skiing days [2021-12-17 Fri] through [2021-12-21 Tue]
- Flight in
- Arrive on JL 521 arriving at 5:05pm
- Rusutsu Lodges Pension Lilla Huset, Cancellation by November 15, Near the Westin (reserved through booking.com/details in Tripit), 144 Izumikawa, Rusutsu-mura, Abuta-gun, Hokkaidō 048-1711, Tel: +81 (0)136-46-3676, Mail: email@example.com
Options for bus travel:
- Powderhounds seems to rebrand the Hokkaido Resort Liner bus and has a bus at 18:15 from CTS Domestic to Rutsutsu that should work [reservation link]
- Overview article on bus transfer from LiveJapan
- Other options seem to be Chuo Bus, Donan bus, BigRuns (only for resort folks?), and Niseko ski bus (that stops at Rutsutsu along the way)
- Option #2
- Ohisama House, Ohisama House ($143/night), 32-18 Izumikawa, Rusutsu, Abuta District, Hokkaido 048-1711
Things to do
- ルスツ温泉 (Onsen)
- Cheap city onsen! 156-2 Rusutsu, Abuta District, Hokkaido 048-1731, Japan (about 1.5km from the place we're staying in the main part of town)
- Fancy resort onsen! 13 Izumikawa, Rusutsu, Abuta District, Hokkaido 048-1711, Japan
[2021-12-22 Wed] through [2022-01-06 Thu] Tokyo
- [2022-01-04 Tue] Mako Leaves
- [2022-01-06 Tue] Mika Leaves
Things to schedule/plan
- Go to swrl in Shibuya (they book/reserve only 1 month out)