Travel plans/April2019 BigBasin
This page is for planning the hike from Saratoga Gap to the sea.
- Confirm with Federica.
- Buy food.
Buy stove fuel.MM has it.
- Download and put the map on our phones. [ew. C will pack a paper map]
X Stoves appear to be okay in the park. Also, note: "Jay Camp is close to the park store, which sells camping supplies, sandwiches, ice cream, and the best selection of beer and wine I’ve ever seen in a California state park." X All trail camps have food storage lockers :)
- Saturday (4/13): Saratoga Gap to Jay campground (~15 miles)
- 8:00: Leave from our house on Lyft to Saratoga Gap?
- 8:30: Start hiking?
- 16:30: get to the campsite (~2 miles/hour pace)?
- Sunday (4/14): Jay campground to the beach (~10 miles)
- 8:30: Leave the campsite?
- 16-16:30 (4-4:30PM): Pick up
Each group (MM, C) should bring:
Each person (M, M, C) should bring:
- Head lamp
- Sleeping bag
- Sleeping pads
- Down jacket
- Hiking pants
- Rain jacket
- ? Rain pants
- Hiking shoes
- Water bottles
- Compass + map
- ? Flipflops
- [MM] matches
- [MM] Cooking stove
- [MM] Cooking fuel
- [MM] First Aid + Vitamin I + allergy meds
- [C, MM] Water filter
- [C] poo shovel, toilet paper
MM Rope to hang "bear" bag / "bear" bag?There will be a bear box.
- Ma is bringing a printed copy of the CalTopo map, PDF version on my e-reader, and a complete trail map in OpenStreetmap.
- BUY/MM? ziplock bags for high traffic areas
- Food (see below)
Note: There's a grocery store near the campsite (Big Basin Grocery Store).
- miso soup -- MM
- hot chocolate -- MM
- nuts -- clark can bring almonds, walnuts, and brazil nuts
- dried fruits -- clark can bring dried mango, dried peaches. may want a little more.
- Breakfast before we leave MM's house
- Bread (C can make adventure bread for the team?) -- sounds great!
- Cheese -- MM
- Brown pickle -- MM
- ? Lentils and rice (longer cook time, but delicious).
- Clark can bring rice, lentils, onion, garlic.
- MM can bring veggie bullion, curry roux, and/or hot sauce.
- MM: Oil and Salt
?Japanese curry with rice? -> buy instant rice ?instance ramen? -> buy ramen noodles
- eggs -- MM
- ?buy at the camp store the day before?
- Dinner back in town to celebrate!