The glacetarium was the Acetarium's 2011 winter retreat. Unfortunately, it's now over. But we're keeping the webpage around for posterity. A summary of the Glacetarium can be found at Glacetarium/Fortnightly Review.
Find us online:
- IRC join #glacetarium OFTC (server: irc.oftc.net)
- Our Flickr Pool where we can share photos
Find us in "Real Life":
- Our base is on Vesturgata 71, Reykjavik, Iceland. Ring the bell marked "Arny".
- Our second apartment is Vesturgata 73. Ring the bell marked "Frikki".
Find us on the phone: Mako's phone number while in Iceland is (+354) 8223606. Other phone numbers are in the participant table below.
The glacetarium is designed so that the friends and inhabitants of the Acetarium can gather, relax and enjoy good company, often in geothermal pools, in Iceland. We'll cook meals, present talks, work on projects, and try to enjoy ourselves.
Participants are encouraged to bring their project ideas, books, games, and bottles of fine duty free whiskey. We will be trying to working with a local hacker space to hold a series of talks and presentations -- open to the public!
- Glacetarium/Lightning talks: Lightning talks for 2011/01/11
- Glacetarium/Activities and talks: Suggestions for activities and talks.
- Glacetarium/Movies: Movies people might have available to watch.
- Glacetarium/Packing list: Things folks should or might want to bring.
- Glacetarium/Money: How to pay and be paid.
- Be aware of the huldufólk, the hidden people. Skepticism can appear rude.
- Tipping is considered rude.
- The flats will most likely have wireless Internet there.
- Rent/hostel fees seem to be between $20-30 (US) per night.
- 1000ISK is about 8USD.
- Apparently, New Year's Eve in Rekyjavik is crazy awesome.
- Mystery Hunt will start at noon on 2011/01/14 (Friday).
- On Unix, you can type ð as Compose dh and þ as Compose th. Ðat allows you to write all kinds of þings.
- You can get data service on a Vodafone IS prepaid SIM card by creating an APN configuration (in Access Point Names) named Vodafone Internet, APN gprs.is, MCC 274, MNC 02.
- WikiTravel page for Reykjavik
- A popular tour route in Southern Iceland
- A more expensive man-made spa
- All the geothermal swimming pools in Iceland
- The town of Húsavík has Icelandic Phallological Museum.
- An official tour guide
- Hakkavélin is a hacker space that seems to be just a few block from where we'll be staying!
- The Ice Bar (made of real ice) is also just a few blocks away!
- We're thinking of going out to to the Vestmannaeyjar Fab Lab on the island of Heimaey
- Data safety when crossing the U.S. border
- Get a flu shot before you go, since flu activity is increasing in Europe
- There is a fablab at akranes http://fablabakranes.is/
There seem to be two real options for folks flying to Iceland from the United States:
- Iceland Air which flies direct from Boston for $500 and up for a round trip ticket.
- Iceland Express which flies from Newark and can be as low at $300 for two one-way tickets.
There may be other options from Europe.
To the Flat from the Airport!
One group got a cab for 16,000kr. The flybus from the airport costs about 2,500kr. The flybus will let you off at BSi.
From BSi one can turn right onto Hringbraut and walk basically until the end of the road, at which point they can turn right onto Ananaust and Vesturgata.
- A non-google map that marks the apartment.
- A google map with both places marked and Google recommended driving directions.
Please let us know if you want to come as soon as you find out!
|Benjamin Mako Hill||mako||12/30||1/13||TICKETED / ROOM MARKED BELOW||(+354) 8223606|
|Mika Matsuzaki||mika||12/30||1/13||TICKETED / ROOM MARKED BELOW|
|Seth Schoen||schoen||12/30||1/13||TICKETED / ROOM MARKED BELOW||(+354) 823 7316|
|Dafydd Harries||daf||12/30||1/13||TICKETED / ROOM MARKED BELOW|
|Christine Spang||christine||12/30||1/10||TICKETED / ROOM MARKED BELOW||(+354) 8223288|
|Avital Kelman||fiendish||12/30||1/13||TICKETED / ROOM MARKED BELOW|
|Molly de Blanc||mollydb||12/31||1/13||TICKETED / ROOM MARKED BELOW|
|Danny Piccirillo||DPic||12/30||1/13||TICKETED / ROOM MARKED BELOW|
|Matt Zimmerman||mdz||12/30||1/08||TICKETED / ROOM MARKED BELOW|
|Calyx Clagg||calyx||12/30||1/08||TICKETED / ROOM MARKED BELOW||(+354) 661 6702|
|Erik Garrison||erikg||12/27||1/13||TICKETED / ROOM MARKED BELOW|
|Hilary DelaBruere||hilary||12/27||1/1||TICKETED / ROOM MARKED BELOW|
|Alex Ose||maalox||12/30||1/13||TICKETED / ROOM MARKED BELOW|
|Niko Kern||nike||1/02||1/13||TICKETED / ROOM MARKED BELOW||(+354) 611-6234|
|Paula Aguilera||paula||12/30||1/08||TICKETED/ ROOM MARKED BELOW||(+44) 7924214614|
|Jonathan Williams||jdub||12/30||1/08||TICKETED/ ROOM MARKED BELOW||(+44) 7924214614|
|Nathan Trachimowicz||nate||12/30||1/13||TICKETED/ ROOM MARKED BELOW|
|Christine Corbett Moran||corbett||1/3||1/13||TICKETED/ ROOM MARKED BELOW|
|Star Simpson||star||1/2||1/14||TICKETED/ ROOM MARKED BELOW|
|Bryan Newbold||bnewbold||1/8||1/14||TICKETED/ ROOM MARKED BELOW|
Possible attendees: Joris, Adriana
<googlemap version="0.9" lat="64.15194574030187" lon="-21.955747604370117" type="map" zoom="14" width="700" height="300" selector="no" controls="small"> 64.15194574030187, -21.955747604370117 Flat 71/73 </googlemap>
We have found one landlord (Fridrik Magnusson) with a good deal of space in Reykjavik (address is Vesturgata 71 and Unit 73). He's trying to give us a good deal and seems pretty flexible. Currently the rundown includes three places:
- Flat 71: Can hold between 6-8 people in two bedrooms with a living room. One of the bedroom will have a few comfy mattresses in it.
- Flat 73: Immediately next to Flat 71. It can hold up to 8 people. But it's only available between the 3rd and the 11th.
- Guest house: Although it's about a 20 minute walk away, there is also a guest house we can use to hold overflow. He'll rent it for the same per-person price if we can get at least 6 people. Otherwise, it should be a little more, but still affordable..
In both places, the landlord can provide a same day laundry service for an extra fee. Alternatively, you can bring enough clothes or wash by hands.
Please only add your name here after you have purchased your tickets.
We are reserving one apartment place that can hold a maximum 8 people from December 30th through January 13th. The house has 2 bedrooms and the landlord will be put 2 more mattresses in the bigger bedroom. There is a sofa bed in the living for 2 people as well. Ideally, we'll get two places and sleep 6 or 7 in this apartment.
There is an apartment next door from the same landlord that can hold 10 people that will be available from the 3rd of January through the 13th. As soon as we get 4-5 people who've signed up for this, we'll put a deposit down to reserve the space for the whole period. Please sign up quickly so we can make sure we get it before someone else does!
Since the house is not available until 1/3, the owner said that we can stay at his other guest house (20-25mins away) until the 3rd for the same price. Let Mika or Mako know if you want to rent the place. Please add your name to the list in the next box if you'll need this.
Please only add your name here after you have purchased your tickets.
Guest House/Other Options
If you need a room in the guest house, put requests down here. We'll try to aggregate these and get these to the landlord and will let folks know. We're currently under the impression that we will have plenty of space. The cost of the guest house will be 25USD/person/night:
- Hillary: 12/28 -> 1/1
- Erik: 12/28 -> /1/3
- Maalox: 12/31 ->1/3
- Niko: Night of the 2nd, would sleep on floor or on couch if it is easier/cheaper
- Paula and Jdub 12/31 -> 1/2
- Nate 12/30 -> 1/3
- Christine Corbett 1/3 -> 1/14
There are hostels and are other apartments for people that want to come for period from December 30 through January 1st. Folks can expect to pay between US $20-35 per night in shared apartment or hostel. Mako and Mika will not arrange these other accommodation though. Obviously, the bigger the place, the cheaper the per-person/per-night cost.